Anyone directly or indirectly involved in producing and consuming steel or creating, constructing or completing projects in steel is eligible to become a member of the Institute. The membership has been divided into seven Categories.
- Founding Member: Large steel producing companies and the Govt. representatives, who conceived and promoted the institute, are the Founding Members. All organizations having integrated operation for iron and steel production from iron ore and its derivatives are its founding member
- Primary Member: Large organization such as producers of steel, fabricators, developers, builders, companies engaged in construction, designers, consultants, specifiers, architects, design institutes, educational & research institutes, interior decorators, engineering firms etc. can enroll themselves as primary members.
- Associate Members: Companies, undertakings, overseas firms interested in steel usage can become Associate Members. There are two types of Associate Membership viz.
Associate Members – A :Larger organizations / firms with more than 15 employees and
Associate Members – B :Registered SSI units / small establishments having a maximum strength of employees upto 15.
- Institutional Member: All India or State local Professional Institutes / Organizations / Boards / Associations etc. dealing with collection and dissemination of information, research and development, process upgradation, exploration of new resources etc. are eligible for membership of the Institute.
- Individual Member: Any professional having interest in steel application and in upgradation of knowledge can become individual member. Individual member may opt for annual or life, membership
- Honorary Member: Eminent Professionals connected with steel industry or those who have rendered distinguished service to the interests of the Institute can be elected as Honorary Member by the Executive Council.
- Student Member: Student Student of Civil Engineering / Architecture / Mechanical / Metallurgical & other allied Engineering disciplines at under graduate / post graduation/ Ph.D level are eligible for Student Membership and one time subscription to be paid at every level (Graduation, Post Graduation & PhD).